Roofing Companies Baton Rouge | Ryson Roofing
In order to identify what you can do to prolong the life of your roof, we need to first look at some of the elements that wreak havoc to your roof. Especially considering that we live in Louisiana, an area prone to storms and volatile weather. Here in Louisiana we have hot summers and many wet months. Therefore, being proactive when it comes to roof maintenance is imperative in prolonging the life of your roof.
1. Sun: There is not much you can do to prevent the sun from heating your roof. The sun is always there pointing its UV rays directly at your roofing shingles. The extreme heat from the sun’s UV rays in time can destroy your roof. The only real remedy here is to have your at least every 5 years. This allows you to stay on top of any hidden damage that can be repaired easily.
2. Wind: Wind is another element that is difficult to protect against. And the best way to protect your roof against wind is to make sure the roof is installed correctly. All shingles have nail lines. The nails should be nailed at the proper location. In addition in order to get the proper wind rating from the manufacturer, 6 nails need to be used per shingle.
3. Rain: Rain has a tendency to fall in a sideways manner. When rain is accompanied by wind it can blow underneath shingles and cause havoc to your roof’s underlayment and sheathing. The best methods to combat rain are to use the appropriate underlayment. In addition to using the right underlayment, you also want to make sure you properly install all components of the roof such as the pipe jacks.
4. Lichen: is a composite organism that arises from algae or cyanobacteria (or both) living among filaments of a fungus in a symbiotic relationship. Lichen is more commonly recognized as moss and algae. Moss and algae are so harmful to your roofing shingles that they will negate your shingles manufactures warranty. We recommend having your roof cleaned at least once a year.
5. Trees: Although trees are beautiful they can cause damage to your roof. In addition to puncturing your shingles, trees create a bridge for insects to cross onto your roof. We recommend trimming your branches so they are not hanging over your roof and at least 24” away from your house.
Roof Installation | Roof Replacement
Baton Rouge roof installation can be prevented if you proactively maintain your roof. There are certainly chances that hail damage or other damage can occur. But by maintaining a clean roof and trimming back your tree branches you give your roof a shot at a longer life.